Fear of Giving Birth?


Try these techniques to prepare you for baby's arrival day

Not only pregnant women fear childbirth. Young girls wonder about it even before that twinkle is in anyone’s eye. Some even decide not to have babies because of what they have heard.
But all that could be different for you if you join one of these birthing movements.


for more quotes with cats, view at
Calm birthing, and another variant, known as hypnobirthing, are becoming increasingly popular for expectant mothers in combating the fear of labour. As far back as 1987, hypnobirthing was incorporated into the first childbirth education program with research showing the benefit to women during this period.
Although considered complementary therapies, a study done in 2016 in Australia on effective childbirth education, showed almost half the rate of interventions for births when educated on normal labour and birth.


Calm vs Hypnosis
According to the Hypnobirthing Australia website, Australian calm birthing was developed in 2004 by midwife Peta Jackson and uses mindset techniques, knowledge and tools for calm and gentle birthing. The Australian hypnobirthing course developed by Melissa Spilsted BA, Bed, CHt uses hypnosis/mindfulness/breathing techniques to aid in the same outcome.
And there are many different courses, practitioners, online tools and resources available to use.

Personal Experience
When I heard about it for my second birth, I used a recording that I listened to at night during the last trimester. I had headphones on while drifting off to sleep for subliminal imprint. On my birth day, I breathed my way through my second labour - right up until  the transition phase when I felt nauseous. Then out popped number 2.
Now it could be argued that I knew what I was in for because it was my second birth. But it sure was a whole lot better than pulling my hair to detract from the pain of labour the first time. And if that can be achieved without medication, then I’m a proponent of hypnobirthing.

Preparation
The most important thing to remember when using such techniques is not to be too fixed on the outcome. Birth rarely goes to plan (although having a birth plan is a good idea).
But special circumstances arise and being prepared to change can be part of that plan.
Having said that, these techniques can be used for mums-to-be regardless of how you are planning to birth- hospital or home, drug-free vaginal or with pain relief, even caesarean according to practitioners.
I wanted a drug-free approach but decided to balance natural with medical and attend a birthing centre attached to a major hospital in case of an emergency.

Here are some links to sites in Australia to get you started in working out whether it could be for you.

by E K Wills

Read the chapter of my book “Mum’s the Word” that covers my first birthing story for free. PM me on https://www.facebook.com/MumsandMentalHealth

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How do you deal with death?

10 Tips To Improve Your Wellbeing

Personal Violence